The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority.
There are some exceptions:
- a caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
- a single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
- up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
- sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
- sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
- sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy/traveller sites.
- sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
- a site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
Apply by post
LICENSED CARAVAN SITES; SITE RULES - MOBILE HOMES ACTS 1983 & 2013
The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020
The purpose of the legislation is to improve the standards of park home site management, by introducing an assessment to ensure that the person responsible for managing the site is suitable and of good character, and as such does not pose a risk to the welfare or safety of persons occupying mobile homes on the site. The requirement for the person responsible for managing the site to be a fit and proper person is in addition to the requirement for a site to be licensed.
The fit and proper person requirement will make it an offence for a site licence holder to operate a park home site unless they, or their appointed manager, are a fit and proper person to do so. Under some circumstances we have the power to appoint a fit and proper person to manage the site, with the owner's consent.
Caravan Sites & Control Development Act 1960
The Caravan Sites Act 1968
Department of Environment Model Standards 1989
Mobile Homes Act 1983
Model Standards 2008 for Caravan sites in England
The Mobile Homes Act 2013