The Council is responsible for the naming and numbering of streets and buildings.

This is to ensure that any new street or building names and numbers conform to national standards (BS7666).

This is important as it allows:

  • Emergency services to find a property quickly (delays can cost lives and money)
  • Mail to be delivered efficiently
  • Visitors to find where they want to go
  • Reliable delivery of services and products
  • Records of service providers to be kept in an effective manner


Applying for a new street name and/or postal numbering for new properties

Developers will need to submit an application form and pay the relevant fee. You should include a copy of the development site plan showing plot layouts, with the correct plot numbers clearly marked. This should be in electronic format wherever possible.


Changing a house name

To add a name to your house you must submit an application form and pay the relevant fee. You must also provide the council with:

  • A plan showing the exact location of the property if the property is not easily identifiable from the existing address
  • A date from which the house name should be changed (if not immediate).


Please note:

If a property has an officially allocated number, it will not be possible to replace the number with a name. If the occupier chooses to use a house name in these circumstances the address must still include the allocated property number.

If you do not submit payment of the relevant fee with your application, you will be sent an invoice which must be paid before your application is processed.


Please send all relevant information to:

Street Naming and Numbering Officer
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council,
Council Offices,
The Campus,
Welwyn Garden City,

For more information on naming, numbering and charges, view our Street naming and numbering policy You may also contact Royal Mail with your address queries.